Not sure what display advertising is?
Need help getting your brand in front of your target customers?
This post is dedicated to helping you put display advertising into action with easy but effective tips.
First, let’s look at the basics.
What is Display Advertising?
Display advertising is a crucial form of online marketing that every business should be taking advantage of, no matter how small your company is, no matter your target audience.
A display ad appears on websites at the top or sides of a page, in different formats and sizes. They can be static or HTML5 banners, GIFs, videos, or text-based, but all share the same goal: encouraging users to click-through to your dedicated landing page.
And then, if said page is effective enough, they’ll convert.
When using Google Ads, your ads will appear on a huge number of sites across the Google Display Network (including YouTube and Gmail).
Why is Display Advertising Important?
One of the main benefits of display advertising is its ability to bring non-converting visitors back to your website and drive them to complete transactions. Consumers who see your retargeting ads after visiting your site are three times as likely to click through than someone who hasn’t interacted with your company before.
These retargeting ads can feature different products or messages, such as items a visitor looked at during their most recent visit. You can include special offers with limited availability to create a sense of urgency, too.
Another benefit is the seamless way display ads appear on websites and apps. They promote your brand and stand apart from the rest of a page’s content, but don’t disrupt the visitor’s experience. And that matters when you want to make a good first impression.
The variety of types means display advertising is versatile, too, and you can experiment with different formats. Plus, thanks to the amount of data generated, it’s easy to track your display ads’ performance over weeks, months, and years.
Display Advertising Tips for Beginners
Here are five tips to help you hit the ground running:
- Make your display ads as eye-catching and clear as you can, so prospects understand what you’re advertising and what they can expect when they click through.
- Try contextual display advertising for maximum relevance: this places your ads on websites with content related to the promoted product or service.
- Create landing pages that tie-in with the ads seamlessly, or you risk frustrating visitors, maybe even enough to chase them away; use videos, too, as they can boost conversions by 86 percent.
- Take advantage of retargeting ads to reach prospects who have already interacted with your business, using products that may already be in their carts.
- Put a strong call to action (CTA) on your display ads to clarify how and why users will benefit from clicking through
Now that you know what display advertising is, why it works, and have a few tips to follow, it’s time to give it a try.
But working with our Orange County digital marketing experts is the best way to make sure your display advertising does everything it has to. Want to speak to a member of our team and discuss your options?